In this role, you will be working for a university and national lab spinout which is commercializing computer vision technology. Based in Chicago the organisation works closely with federal scientists and engineers to develop machine vision technology for additive manufacturing (camera and software based). They have established research partnerships with multiple national laboratories, US departments, NASA, and research institutions making this an incredible career opportunity for the right person.
You'll be joining a small team, comprised of independent thinkers, working to solve challenges in software development, data analysis, mechatronics, electrical engineering, and computer engineering. They are a cross-disciplined group and are excited to be pioneers in the rapidly evolving field of artificial intelligence and machine learning for 3D printing. This is a fast-paced, start-up work environment, but with the resources and facilities of a US national Laboratory. This means a lot of variability in workflow and responsibilities, with an emphasis on creative problem-solving. You will have the chance to be a part of a team making headlines in the 3D printing world.
About the Role: We are looking for a candidate with a well-rounded set of skills to support product delivery and installation, sensor building, project management, and data collection. This role will incorporate a mix of fast-paced operations work, hardware engineering and installation work, data analysis, and travel to 3D printing sites such as NASA, the US Air Force, DOE national labs, in addition to management and foresight of ongoing and future projects.
• Site visits with partner institutions (NASA, Argonne Lab, Oak Ridge Lab, the US Air Force, etc.)
• Manage and troubleshoot installations at partnering research facilities
• Prepare for contract milestones and manage deadlines
• Identify part-compromising defect signatures and support customer value creation
• Travel up to 75% (enforced maximum) in first year of role
• Building sensor packages and basic circuitry
• Mounting fixture design and prototyping
• Sensor parameter optimization to refine data quality
Software Development Support
• Transition customer requests into software requirements for developers
• Support the development of code to support customers, our internal team, research labs
• Provide feedback to software engineering team on code implementation and performance
• Oversee project success and mitigate risk for R&D projects
What we're looking for:
• Educated to degree level in one of the following: mechanical, aerospace, industrial operations, or electrical engineering
• 1-2 years experience in hardware focused roles
• Education and/or industrial experience related to manufacturing, technology, computer science, etc.
• Camera-based hardware/software development, or knowledge of hardware-software interfacing
• Logical problem-solving skills
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, fluent in writing and speaking English
• Strong organizational and time management skills
Desired Job Requirements
• Can-do attitude and resilience in troubleshooting issues with customers and installations
• Experience in going above and beyond listed job role to fill identified gaps
• Experience in personal projects to further develop engineering skills and background
• Willingness to learn, be flexible, and have fun!
• Hybrid and flexible options available, but required to be present in Chicago, IL for 4+ days per week.
• Ability to travel domestically up to 75% of time
• Competitive Salary
• Equity offering
• PTO program
• Mentorship program
• Healthcare coverage premium
Sound like the role for you? if you have the relevant experience get in touch to find out more about this amazing opportunity.
Click here to submit your CV and apply online.