This Chicago based Software Developer role is working for a university and national lab spinout.
If you're looking for a new role where you will be joining a talented team of independent thinkers, working to solve challenges in software development, data analysis, mechatronics, electrical engineering, and computer engineering then this could be the role for you.
You'll be involved in commercialising computer vision technology which performs in-situ monitoring for industrial 3D printing. This technology dramatically changes the metal additive manufacturing (AM) industry by providing immediate component certification and early cancellation of defective builds.
About The Role
- Front-end/GUI development for an interface that is used for a variety of functions by a diverse group of individuals. This requires the presentation of complex 3D data in an intuitive fashion.
- Translate business and customer requirements into technical requirements and into a functional UI suitable for both novice and expert users.
- Provide second-level support for deployed systems, some of which do not support direct access by Additive Monitoring. This means working with customers to collect and analyze the necessary information and being able to form a model of the issue based on symptoms.
- Form the nucleus of the Additive Monitoring development organization as it grows, serving as a mentor to new developers and contributing to the corporate culture through the implementation of code quality processes and the development of best practices within the organization.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Decomposition of high-level requirements into low-level design and implementing these requirements as code
- Development of a first-generation user interface under Windows
- Understanding and addressing performance bottlenecks
- Supporting the existing proof-of-concept codebase
- Providing guidance on UI/UX design to the Additive team
- Owning the user interface and optimizing it over time based on the strategic direction of the company and feedback from the user community
- Mentoring new or less experienced team members
About the organisation
The role is with a company located within Argonne National Laboratory outside of Chicago and with use of the mHUB innovation space in downtown Chicago. They work closely with federal scientists and engineers to develop camera and software based machine vision technology for additive manufacturing they have established research partnerships with multiple national laboratories, US departments, NASA, and research institutions.
A cross-disciplined group, they are pioneers in the rapidly evolving field of artificial intelligence and machine learning for 3D printing. This is a fast-paced, startup work environment, but with the resources and facilities of a US national Laboratory. This means a lot of variability of workflow and responsibilities, with an emphasis on creative problem solving. At the forefront of developments in the industry in this role you will have the chance to be a part of a team making headlines in the 3D printing world.
Tools they use:
- Python 3
- Git and GitHub
- Apache HTTPD
- Various GCC compilers and tools
- Visual Studio
If you have the following experience we'd love to hear from you:
- An understanding of object-oriented software design in a Windows environment
- Strong organizational skills
- The ability to work independently and with a small team
- A background including all aspects of the SDLC
- A strong understanding of version management systems, preferably including Git or similar distributed source code management tool
- Experience debugging code in a production environment
- Experience with parallel processing and multithreaded code
- Experience using various IPCs
- Experience with API development and use, particularly REST
- U.S. citizenship (contractually required by some AMS clients)
Candidates with the following skills and experience are strongly preferred:
- Data visualization
- GPU programming
- Python development experience
- Linux development experience
Sound like the role for you? Apply with an up-to-date CV and we'll be in touch to discuss.
Click here to submit your CV and apply online.