Senior Controls Engineer
Senior Controls Engineer
We’re looking for a Senior Controls Engineer for a senior role in a small engineering company which designs and manufactures high quality FMCG machinery. Typical products include conveyors, pumps, tanks, valves, lidders, cappers, palletisers, labellers, etc.
This will be a hands-on role, not just desk based, and the post holder will report directly to the Managing Director. There is also the possibility of progression to Technical Director in a relatively short time period for the right individual.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is highly organised, positive and able to motivate and drive a small team, understanding the skills and personalities of each team member to get the best out of everybody
- Will be focused on quality and customer service
- Is willing to visit customer sites alone and as technical support for the Managing Director
- Has a polite, positive and confident approach with customers
- Is a time served engineering apprentice and ideally engineering diploma / degree qualified
- Willing and able to take a project all the way from cradle to grave (concept to commissioning and handover to the customer).
- Monitor / drive production workflow from order through design, purchasing, manufacture & testing.
- Oversee and personally participate in System Specification, Design and BOM creation
- Electrical / Controls
- Software (PLC)
- Oversee Technical Component Purchasing
- Oversee (and participate in when required) software writing The company has a controls engineer who currently does all the electrical design and software work, but increased workload is resulting in him not being able to complete all the required tasks.
- Assist the Workshop Manger with Production Scheduling
- Co-ordinate customer FAT visits
- Ensure the company keeps up to date with changes in legislation in areas such as Atex, Weights & Measures, CE (soon to be UK) Marking, etc...
- Provide technical support to the Managing Director
A minimum of 5 years, hands-on experience of designing and making electrical control panels and PLC software based control systems for industrial machinery.
The successful applicant will be:
- A highly competent and experienced electrical / industrial controls engineer, who also has a very good level of understanding of mechanical engineering.
- Able to multi-task, manage technical people (mechanical and electrical/controls) manage / co-ordinate our customer service/ support function
- Confident and polite
- Able to write a Complete System FDS from a Sales Quotation and/or a Customer URS
- Able to design from scratch an Electrical Control Panel / System
- Functional design, software and I/O specification
- Component specification and selection
- Panel Layout Design
- Create all Wiring Diagrams
- Create Schematics
- Detailed knowledge of Safety Standards
- Safety Circuit Design
- PLC Selection Inc Digital and Analogue I/O,
- Ethernet / TCP/IP Communications for Motors, HMI's and Remote IO
- Motor and Drive Selection / Selection (Inc Servo)
- HMI Selection
- Inter-panel and inter-component communication
- Ability to use a CAD system for panel drawings and schematics.
- Able to design pneumatic control circuits for Atex/Ex Environment equipment
Software Skills / Requirements:
- PLC Programming. Allen-Bradley, Rockwell and Siemens are essential, other PLC makes would be a benefit
- VFD / Inverter selection and set-up
- Servo and Stepper Motor Specification, Programming, Set-Up and Operation
- Safety Relay Programming
- HMI specification and GUI design + programming
- Can set-up own Version Control File Systems
- Highly experienced and up to date with Eplan (ideally) or alternatively AutoCAD Electrical
- Advanced user of MS Excel
Click here to submit your CV and apply online.